Sunday, August 13, 2006

2 and a half months post surgery + 8 months post surgery

I'm 2 and a half months post my second revision with Jane and 8 months post surgery my first revision with Jane ie the brow lift and upper eyelid reconstruction etc. I feel like I'm going through a metamorphosis. Sometimes I glimpse into the mirror and wow, I see someone totally different and my eyes look good though on closer inspection I can see the irregularities that still need fixing, ie the lower left eyelid retraction, the right eye being a different shape to the left eye and the crooked fly's legs for my eyelashes (I haven't used mascara for two and a half months as it just won't sit on my eyelashes - they just won't curl up - it's like they are broken ... very strange).

This last revision with Jane has had an impact and things are improving slowly. My right outer eyelid isn't feling as tight as it was though it still feels claustrophobic and when I take an impromptu picture on my cellphone, you can see the difference in eye shapes and the dip in the right outer upper eyelid - the pictures below don't reflect that. Each time I take a picture it seems to show something different, depending on the angle that the picture is being taken at. Sometimes my lower left retraction doesn't look so bad and sometimes it looks bad - again depending on the angle and which direction I'm looking. Obviously when I'm talking to people and in normal mode, my eyes are looking everywhere and not straight like it is when a picture is being taken, ie in 3D mode, people will see my eyes look in all kinds of directions, up down, left, blinking etc - oh yeah and I still blink really slow and my best friend said sometimes I only half blink and don't shut my eyes when I blink.

I fell asleep for 30 mins as a nap this afternoon and oh boy my eyes were really burning and hot. Obviously my eyes weren't shutting (sighs) - though as it was such a short time, my eyes didn't get to that stage where they started watering and getting really painful.

When I wake in the mornings, I can feel the ache in my outer eye muscles (obicularis (?)) and during the day as well I can feel them throbbing and aching still. I do spend a lot of time in the mirror at work and when I look at my reflection, pulling my eyelids up to see how they will finally look. I pull my right outer eyelid out a bit more as my vision is blurred and pull the right lower eyelid up a bit; and I pull the left lower eyelid up and out as well and voila, perfect eyes (smiles). The lower eyelid hollows don't bother me as much now that my right cheek infection went down (whew) though the area is still scarred ie is red and shows through my make up. It looks like a birth mark though is fading, thankfully.

Much to do ... always so much to do .... the past two and a half months have flown past and I'm just soooooo thankful I don't have to wear a wig anymore. That was such a traumatic time in my life - every second of it. My hair now is so much more thicker thanks to Nourkrin - I've just started the maintenance programme of Nourkrin; and it's made such a difference. When I part my hair I can still see the Y-V incision lines on my scalp and most of them are covered by hair (I think - as i haven't checked all of them - there are 3. They are mostly able to be disguised though I still as yet can't part my hair on the left as the left incision area is still growing hair back after 8 months. Oh yeah and I've parted my hair on the right so that my fringe is covering my left eye which has the lower eyelid retraction and hides my left eye as I'm embarassed by my left lower eyelid retraction which in normal day to day life at work does show up.

No comments: