Sunday, August 06, 2006

Changes & Jane's summary

My eyes are changing weekly and I am noticing the difference. I was massaging and pulling up my right eyelid cos I can't see too well from it and it seems to have made a difference to the vision though it's still uncomfortable and feels tight. There'll obviously be more subtle changes over the following weeks/months before the next revision.

When I roll my eyes around in my head I can still feel what feels like stitches, though Jane said it was gristle. Question is: will that stuff always be there and/or will it disappear and if it's gristle, why does it feel so hard like it's stitches? Does it scratch the cornea etc?

Jane's letter which arrived pleasantly early (last letter she sent was a month after my surgery!), it 2-3 days after my consult, summarised:

Upper eyelids
Right upper eyelid has a small lateral droop and lash ptosis. Left upper lid has a small lateral lash ptosis which will need further everting. The right eye shape is rounder than the left, which is oval, which is due to some weakening of a right lateral canthal tendon which will require tightening and elevating with a lateral periosteal strip.

Lower lids
The left lower lid is still retracting more than the right lower lid and there are still some hollow areas in the tear trough region. Will require bilateral lower eyelid Coleman fat and placement of hard palate mucosal grafts, together with the left lateral canthal tightening as there has been some loosening of her left lower lid since procedure in June.

Price for the surgery including hospital costs and follow up consults is around the £6,500 mark. Ouch! I haven't even sat down to count how much it's cost me in the 4 surgeries so far for my eyes. It's approximately in the region of £23,000 including this next 5th one. £3,500 for the first bleph, 1st revision was free with the original first surgeon, approx £7,500 for brow lift and upper bilateral etc in Dec 05, approx £6,000 for the 2nd revision and £6,500 for the next and hopefully last revision. And it will have taken over 2 years of my life. If I'd known all of this would I have ever started? Nope. Certainly not. I'd had the ptosis which was getting bad though I would probably have waited till it affected my vision before I got Moorfields Hospital to take a look at it. Thou it's happened and if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

No comments: