Wednesday, August 02, 2006

2 month post surgery follow up consult with Jane Olver

I had my 2 month post op follow up surgery with Jane Olver today. It certainly is always interesting when I have my consults with Jane in Harley Street (smiles!

I felt for Jane today and my heart went out to her as her assistant decided to answer back and be argumentative in front of me, the client, while I was having my consult.

I emphatised with Jane as I've experienced her assistant's abruptness and argumentativeness over the phone a few times when I've needed answers and the reaction I received back was not something I'd expect of a professional medical secretary working in Harley Street. While at times she can be nice, the assistant can be quite abrupt and scary and perhaps too direct and blunt, without taking other people's feelings into consideration.

Jane is such a nice person and I felt her assistant could have chosen a more polite time to choose to be argumentative and answer back to Jane when asked to assist and certainly not during a consultation and in front of a client. If her assistant had issues, it wasn't the right time to bring them up and she could have chosen to behave professionally as a medical sec and/or any other assistant would have done especially in front of a client.

I so wanted to reach out and give Jane a hug -- auuuww. She was really upset and I could understand as hey I'm a secretary myself in the banking industry and I totally understand secretary/manager relationships having had my fair share of them, though in front of a client is something completely different.

Maybe I don't see the side of Jane that her assistant sees though I, like any normal person, can pick up and sense another person's energies and I don't sense a mean bone in Jane's body to warrant or justify the treatment she received from her assistant today. No one did. I hope Jane manages to resolve things and that they calm down and everyone makes their peace soon, and that Jane's assistant apologies to her.

When her assistant left the building, the energy changed completely and it was amazing!!

Anyway, back to the consult.... I shared my thoughts with Jane about my eyes ie:

- right eye vision - can't see too well out of corner (too tight)
- keep wanting to pull right corner eyelid up so I can see as it feels too tight
- right lower eyelid has a lump from the incision
- right eyebrow raises when left eye shuts
- right lower eyelid hollow
- left lower eyelid is retracted
- left lower eyelid lump
- left inner eyelid fat transfer slightly less (from when that cyst happened)
- Dry eyes in both eyes and keratitis
- More so in left eye daily ie feels hot and burning sensations
- Left eyelid sticks to eyeball in the morning when opening even when using Lacrilube
- Both eyes have different shapes ie left eyelid more almond and right more round
- When I roll my eyes in my socket, it feels gritty, like there are stitches

In between discussing all this, the phone rang, text msgs happened, she had to go to see her secretary a few times and her secretary decided to instigate an argument of all days, in the middle of MY consult! (smiles). It's ok. As long as Jane didn't cut short my time, I was ok with it, and she had specifically made me her last appointment so she could give me ample time which was nice :).

So anyway the consult was disrupted a few times. I felt her assistant could have assisted more than she did instead of being argumentative .... geez. Jane was certainly very patient with her - if that was my assistant, I may have reacted differently. Jane did very well to keep her cool (bravo Jane).

To cut a long story short, as everything was in snippets in between telephone calls and secretaries etc, Jane was able to see all that I pointed out above which was great for me. As she says I know my own eyes. She did suggest restylane for the left lower eyelid retraction as she said she was hesitant to do another surgery as she didn't want me to keep having surgery after another though understood my views against hydraulic acid; and I wasn't keen on spending £600 or more every 6 months or so and suffering the pain of injections which I don't like at the best of times.

So we agreed on the mucoscal hard graft palate in both eyes, more so on the left than on the right and something else on the right outer eyelid to raise it. She did call it by it's technical name but I've forgotten it - my memory isn't good. I'll have to wait for her letter. Possibly fat transfer to the lower eyelids as there isn't enough fat in the tear trough especially the right eye to reposition and also on the left. I'm not sure what she's going to do with the left lower eyelid lump - I don't think we got to that part with all the interruptions going on - or we may have and then got interrupted again.

Jane spotted the "fly legs" as I call it on my left upper eyelashes and said that needs addressing again as it's not right, and something about my right eyelashes as well - they just aren't curling up as they ought to.

I said I hoped that when I have this operation it'll be the last ever and Jane said hopefully though there'll need to be touch ups (I'm not sure what that means - though hope it's nufin expensive!).

We agreed a date of 18th Dec 06 for my next surgery (which will be 7 months from this recent surgery). Jane said I had to wait at least 6 months.

Jane took some pictures at the end, and asked me to pose in certain positions and showed me the pictures afterwards. I'm glad she could see what I'd been referring to as she'd taken pictures of my eyes as I see them, ie when they look horrible and "deformed" as I call it. She explained a few reasons technically but yikes I've forgotten already! (shucks).

So the summary as I shared with Jane, in my thoughts were, use the mucosal hard palate graft to lift the lower eyelids and tighten up and pull out the right side and fat transfer to the lowers and we're good to go!! Yup, she said :). She seemed confident enough and didn't add anything else and agreed with me. We seemed to be on the same wavelength. She added in the upper eyelashes which I hadn't brought up even though I noticed it.

Jane did comment that my observational powers are heightened. Comes with experience and age and is earned. :) I did share with her that my self esteem suffers because of all the looks I get and the people who rub their eyes and flick away at their eyes when they talk to me. I deal with it as I have to though it still eats away at me inside and my heart does sink just cos I usually have forgotten about how my eyes are as they're much better then they were and when people do that, even if it's subconsciously it just reminds me and brings me back to reality with a bump, that the journey is far from over yet and I need to keep on my toes instead of being relaxed about it all.

No need to see Jane for a follow up now until approx October, 3 months from now and/or just before the surgery.

No comments: