Monday, June 19, 2006

Autogenous hard palate mucosa : the ideal lower eyelid spacer?

I found an article on Hard Palate Mucosa, which most likely will be the next part of my reconstruction healing journey with Jane Olver, who is one of the authors of the article below. The second link includes before and after photos of lower eyelid retraction.

The articles are a bit deep - I roughly get the gist, and am terrified especially when I read of haemotema (spelling?) on the donor graft site.

How on earth am I going to manage this healing wise and taking time off work is what crosses my mind, and also financially whether BUPA will cover it, if applicable etc. Is 3 weeks enough to heal from this? Will I be able to eat after? Will I be confined to just liquid diet?

Healing from surgery is hard work and very draining in all aspects. It's not like having a holiday cos each day you feel different inside and in how you look - everything is bruised and swollen. And talking of swollen, my knee, where the fat transfer was taken (ie lipo-ed) is still bruised and swollen at two weeks. I took the plaster off the other day to take a peek and there were stitches there. They don't look like dissolvable stitches to me. I put another couple of plasters back on as I didn't want the stitches to get caught in anything. Geez if I feel bruised from a little lipo on my knee, I can't imagine what it feels like to get your stomach and/or thighs lipoed - ouch!

While I'm healing from this last surgery (2 weeks post surgery now), I can still feel my scalp healing from my brow lift - as it's still sore in some spots, the hair is still growing weird in some areas where there is new hair though my hair is still parted differently to how I normally wear it to hide my incision lines. But enough has grown now at the 6 month mark for me to effectively hide the incision lines that are still growing back.

My heart has felt palpitations every now and then during the past 2 weeks during recovery. I'm not sure what that means - it would just start beating really fast at times and I'd just observe it, and wasn't able to figure out why it was doing it as nothing in particular was happening. I was curious and wondered if anything was wrong with my heart and/or if something was happening that it shouldn't be and/or if it was some kind of side effect of the medication.

Talking of medication, on reading the article below, it says that antibiotics are prescribed for a while to help the donor site ie mouth graft area to heal etc as there can be complictions. Oh no!! --- I should have taken a pix showing what my skin on arms and legs looked like when I was taking the antibiotics - not a pretty sight.

The use of porous polyethylene (Medpor) lower eyelid spacers in lid heightening and stabilisation
J Tan, J Olver, M Wright, R Maini, C Neoh, and A J Dickinson
Br. J. Ophthalmol., September 1, 2004; 88(9): 1197 - 1200.

http://bjo.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/85/10/1183
http://bjo.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/88/9/1197

No comments: